Heightened Invocation (I - III)
From Open Legend Wiki
- Tier 1:
- Any Extraordinary: 4
- Tier 2:
- Any Extraordinary: 6
- Tier 3:
- Any Extraordinary: 9
By channeling your extraordinary powers through extended research or extensive rituals, such as meditation, fasting, blood letting, or sacrifices, you are able to increase the strength of your invocations. This feat is common among wizards, inventors, mad scientists, and similar characters who use extraordinary abilities to achieve great deeds.
When invoking a bane or boon, you may choose to do so as a heightened invocation. The invocation time for a heightened invocation is one increment higher than usual as follows:
- 1 action becomes 1 minute
- 1 minute becomes 10 minutes
- 10 minutes becomes 1 hour
- 1 hour becomes 8 hours
- 8 hours becomes 24 hours
Tier 1 - When performing a heightened invocation, you may choose one of the following effects to empower your bane or boon:
- Increase the range of the effect as follows:
Attribute 5 = 500ft
Attribute 6 = 1/2 mile
Attribute 7 = 1 mile
Attribute 8 = 10 miles
Attribute 9 = 100 miles
- Negate two levels of disadvantage caused by multi-targeting (e.g., target 2 creatures or a 10' square for free instead of disadvantage 2).
- For your action roll, treat your attribute score as if it was one greater for purposes of determining attribute dice. Note that this doesn't grant access to banes or boons you could not normally access. It only increases the dice used for the action roll.
Tier 2 - You gain the following options when you perform a heightened invocation:
*You can lead others to join you in group invocation as long as they are also able to invoke the bane or boon at the same power level that you are invoking it at. At the conclusion of the group invocation, each contributor may choose one of the effects granted by Tier 1 of this feat. *You gain the following additional options to choose from when empowering your invocations with heightened invocation:
*Cause a boon to persist for 1 minute automatically without needing to use a sustain action. Furthermore, enemies cannot end the boon through use of a disrupting attack (though the nullify bane still works). *Targets may not make resist rolls against a bane for one minute after it is invoked.
Tier 3 - You gain the ability to permanently bestow or dispel banes and boons. In order to bestow the bane or boon, you must rigorously attend to the invocation process for a number of days equal to the power level of the bane or boon to be invoked or nullified. During that time you can eat, sleep, and act normally with two exceptions: 1) You must work actively on the invocation and with minimal interruption for 8 hours out of each day. 2) You can leave the area and move about freely during the down time each day, but for the 8 hours of active heightened invocation you must be in the same physical or geographic location where the invocation was initiated. When the invocation time is completed, make an action roll as follows:
- Bestow Boon - Make an action roll to invoke the boon as usual. If successful, you cause a non-instantaneous & non-permanent boon to permanently affect the target. The target can thereafter invoke the boon at will with a free action, without requiring an action roll to do so. The target does not need to use a sustain action to persist the effect, and the effect can only be nullified either temporarily with the nullify bane, or permanently with the Heightened Invocation feat (see the Dispel Boon entry that follows).
- Bestow Bane - Make an action roll to invoke the bane as usual. If successful, you cause a non-instantaneous & non-permanent bane to permanently affect the target. The bane persists indefinitely and does not allow resist rolls to end its effects. The effect can be canceled either temporarily with the nullify bane, or permanently with the Heightened Invocation feat (see the Dispel Bane entry that follows).
- Dispel Boon - Make an Entropy roll with a Challenge Rating equal to 10 + twice the power level of the boon you are attempting to dispel. If successful, you cause a permanent boon to be forever stripped from the target, causing them to lose the ability to invoke the boon automatically.
- Dispel Bane - Make a Protection roll with a Challenge Rating equal to 10 + twice the power level of the bane you are attempting to dispel. If successful, you break the curse of a permanent bane afflicting the target, though your target gains no special immunity to it.
Permanently bestowing banes or boons via this feat can dramatically impact the mechanical balance of a story. Just as with other permanent effects like Extraordinary Item creation, the invocation of permanent banes or boons is subject to GM's discretion, and using this feat in a way that makes one particular character overly powerful should be prohibited.
This feat is from the core rules, and can be found here on the Main Website
Community Provided Advice/Information
Flavor for Settings
If you have an idea for a flavor for a specific setting, feel free to add it here
This product was created under the Open Legend Community License and contains material that is copyright to Seventh Sphere Entertainment. Such use of Seventh Sphere Entertainment materials in this product is in accordance with the Open Legend Community License and shall not be construed as a challenge to the intellectual property rights reserved by Seventh Sphere Entertainment. Seventh Sphere Entertainment and Open Legend RPG and their respective logos are trademarks of Seventh Sphere Entertainment in the U.S.A. and other countries.
The full-text Open Legend Community License can be found at http://www.openlegendrpg.com/community-license.